Historic Floods Hit Indiana, Where Death Toll Rises to at Least Six

At least six people have died in Indiana as a series of relentless storms led to historic flooding in the Midwestern state.

Heavy rain over several days caused significant flooding along the White River, which flows through Indianapolis and central and southern parts of the state. Early Saturday, the river crested at nearly 25 feet in central Indiana -- surpassing a record set in 1913, according to the National Water Prediction Service.

President Trump approved a request for federal assistance over the weekend, state officials said. The Indiana Department of Homeland Security said at least six people -- including a 4-year-old boy and an 86-year-old woman -- have died in storm-related incidents in the past week.

In Hamilton County, just north of Indianapolis, officials said Sunday water was beginning to recede as they began recovery efforts across cities in the area. In Noblesville, Ind., where the White River flows through the city's downtown, more than 550 residential units were affected by the flood, said Mayor Chris Jensen. On Saturday in Carmel, Ind., emergency officials relocated about 40 residents from their homes amid flooding and helped move residents and staff out of a senior living facility, Mayor Sue Finkam said.

Heavy rainfall has moved eastward from the Midwest to the central Appalachians, the National Weather Service said, bringing the threat of flash flooding to West Virginia. Two to 4 inches of rain had fallen as of late Sunday morning in parts of central West Virginia, forecasters said, with flash-flood advisories lasting through Monday morning.

Heavy rain began to pour over Indiana last week, with more than 11 inches in total over two days in some areas, according to data from the National Weather Service in Indianapolis. Much of central Indiana was under flood advisories Sunday morning. Forecasters in Indianapolis said more rainfall is possible Sunday, posing the threat of possible flash flooding. Dry weather will return Monday before possible thunderstorms late Tuesday and into Wednesday, forecasters said.

More than 70 members of Indiana's National Guard and dozens of other state officers were assisting response efforts, the governor's office said Saturday. Indiana Gov. Mike Braun said the storms and flooding have destroyed homes, businesses and infrastructure, and caused power outages for hundreds of thousands of residents at its peak. He declared a statewide emergency Thursday.

In Indianapolis on Saturday, officials conducted 56 water rescues and one man was transported to the hospital, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett on Saturday urged residents living near or in areas of flooding to have plans to evacuate. The flooding, Hogsett said, was the most severe the city has seen in more than three decades.